IPL 2021- RCB: Who will be RCB’s next captain? Royal Challengers Bangalore has a new challenge ahead of the next IPL season. They are left with only a small frame of time to decide their next IPL captain. The development comes as Virat Kohli on Sunday announced he will step down from the leadership role after the end of IPL 2021. Since the Mega IPL Auction 2022 is likely to be held in December or January, RCB needs to decide their next IPL captain in just three months.
With Virat Kohli quitting captaincy, RCB have only two options at this moment — go with AB de Villiers, an absolute fan favourite and a former captain — or wait for the auction and pick a leader. The other option could be to go with Glenn Maxwell but he is new to the franchise.
But there are two problems: AB de Villiers is 37 and may not have long to lead while Glenn Maxwell has just joined the team.
IPL 2021- Who will be RCB’s next IPL captain? Can AB de Villiers be right choice?
- With the lack of key players in the RCB camp, AB De Villiers could lead the pack.
- The attacking batsman has experience of playing in IPL from season 1. He is one of the highest run-getters for RCB with 5000+ runs.
- AB de Villiers is an inspiration to all youngsters, including Virat Kohli. So, he would keep a balance in the team environment.
- AB de Villiers had previously led South Africa in 18 T20Is.
- He had managed a success rate of 47.05 per cent with 8 victories and 9 losses (1 NR).
- AB de Villiers has turned 37-years-old and RCB would be looking for a captain who can lead the franchise for at least 2-3 years.
- Every franchise will have three retentions and as many RTM (right-to-match) options.
- With Virat Kohli and Devdutt Padikkal expected to be retained amongst the Indians, AB de Villiers is the other choice.
- As for RTM, RCB are expected to use that for Washington Sundar, Kyle Jamieson and Yuzvendra Chahal, missing out on Maxwell.
- If AB de Villiers is retained, RCB will have to pay Rs 11 crore while more than Rs 17 crore for Virat Kohli. That will affect the team’s purse as Rs 28 crore alone will be spent on these two players’ retention.
- AB de Villiers’ captaincy record too doesn’t boost confidence.
- ABD, Mr. 360 is a sensational batsman but has failed to win a title during his captaincy stint with South Africa across all formats.
- Since Glenn Maxwell had previously failed to live up to expectations as IPL captain for Punjab Kings, RCB at present do not have any choice to lead the franchise other than de Villiers.
NOTE: Glenn Maxwell had won 7 out of 14 matches during his captaincy stint in IPL.
For more sports news and IPL 2021 live updates, follow us at insidesport.co