Football
Newcastle United break their silence about Sandro Tonali facing 10-month ban

Newcastle United break their silence about Sandro Tonali facing 10-month ban

Newcastle United only stated facts on their statement regarding Sandro Tonali.

Sandro Tonali has been given a 10-month ban after he agreed to his punishments for illegal betting charges. Tonali’s punishment was given out by the Italy FA (FIGC). However, they requested FIFA to extend the ban worldwide. As FIFA agreed to FIGC’s request this Friday, Tonali will not be able to play for Newcastle United. Newcastle have finally released a statement on the matter. It only stated the facts and nothing more. Coach Eddie Howe previously said that he doesn’t think a public statement from the player is needed.

Sandro Tonali was given a 10-month ban after he was charged with illegal betting activities. The Italy defender agreed to an 18-month ban as a punishment for which 8 months will be reduced. As soon as the punishment was given by the FIGC, they requested FIFA to extend the ban worldwide. Tonali was included in the Wolves vs Newcastle United squad. The club coach Eddie Howe previously said to reporters that there was a high chance that Tonali would play in the match.

Tonali played in their last Champions League match against Borussia Dortmund 3 days ago. He was also included in the squad for the trip to Wolverhampton. Coach Howe expected that it would take FIFA a few days to impose the ban worldwide. However, the ban was extended worldwide by FIFA last Friday. Following the ban, Newcastle United released a statement that read, “Newcastle United midfielder Sandro Tonali has been banned from competitive football for ten months, as effective from Friday 27th October 2023, following illegal betting charges by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC).”

It further read, “FIGC’s sanction includes an overall 18-month ban, with eight months commuted as the player participates in a therapeutic plan and educational programme in Italy consisting of 16 commitments. On the evening of Friday 27th October, Newcastle United received confirmation that FIFA has endorsed FIGC’s sanction to be applied worldwide, meaning Sandro will be eligible to return to competitive football from Tuesday 27th August 2024.” The statement by the Premier League club only stated the facts of the matter and nothing more. 

Newcastle United released a statement regarding Italy defender Sandro Tonali facing an 8-month ban from FIGC, coach Eddie Howe reveals more

Tonali got punished for breaching a rule that prohibits all players from placing bets on football games organised by FIGC, UEFA, or FIFA. Along with the 8-month ban, the Italy defender has also been fined €20,000. After the ban extension was announced, on Friday, coach Eddie Howe said during the pre-match press conference, “I am not going to say that he owes the club an apology to you. That conversation is between the club and Sandro and myself and I don’t think public statements are needed at this stage.”

He added, “I will have to see the whole time he will be unable to play and then work out a plan for him. It will be very very difficult for him. He will get a feeling of monotony where he is not playing and training is a difficult thing and I’ve seen it many times with players.” Considering that Tonali’s ban ends on the 27th of June next year, it means he is now out for the entire season. He could also be out for the Euro competition next year.

Follow
Share

Editors pick

Hardik Pandya & Virat Kohli in T20 World Cup squad, no surprise inclusions expected: Report
Share article
Follow us on social media
Google News Whatsapp channel
Tell us why didn’t you like our article so that we can improve on?