Anthony Taylor handed responsibility for huge Premier League game after demotion

Anthony Taylor handed responsibility for huge Premier League game after demotion

Referee Anthony Taylor got involved in controversy again in the Championship match he officiated last weekend.

The freshly demoted English referee Anthony Taylor is set to make a comeback to England’s top flight after serving only a single week of punishment. The referee was in the middle of a lot of controversies after giving an arguable decision in favour of Newcastle United in their Premier League match against Wolves. Following the controversy, Taylor was demoted to the Championship. However, it seems after spending only one week and officiating one match, he will be back with a bang to officiate in the all-important Chelsea vs Man City match. 

Referee Anthony Taylor was demoted after giving out a controversial decision in the Wolves vs Newcastle United match. He was demoted to the Championship last week. It seems he only had to suffer one week of punishment and officiate only a single game. After only officiating the Preston North End vs Coventry City match, Taylor is set to come back to England’s top-flight competition. Reportedly, he will be given the major responsibility of officiating in the all-important Chelsea vs Man City match.

It was a 1-1 draw when Wolves winger Hwang Hee-Chan brought down Newcastle United defender Fabian Schar in an attempt to clear the ball. Referee Anthony Taylor saw the incident and pointed to the penalty spot. His decision was later confirmed by VAR. The VAR official at Stockley Park that day, Jarred Gillett took his sweet time to come to the decision. However, he decided that it was not needed for Taylor to check the incident a second time on his monitor and the penalty was given.

Chelsea vs Man City after officiating only one The Championship game

Callum Wilson put the ball behind the net from the penalty spot in the injury time of the game’s first half. This saw Newcastle United leading the match just before the half-time break. Wolves drew the match as Hwang Hee-Chan equalised for them in the 71st minute of the game. However, many people still raised their voices against Taylor’s controversial decision. PGMOL didn’t issue any apology statement and no punishment was issued for the VAR official, Gillett. However, Taylor was demoted to England’s second-tier competition, the Championship.


Editors pick

DC vs SRH Highlights: Orange Army continue to rise with another win in a high-scoring affair
Share article
Follow us on social media
Google News Whatsapp channel
Tell us why didn’t you like our article so that we can improve on?