Tim Paine Sexting Scandal – Australian Captain Quits: Tim Paine has stepped down as Australian men’s Test captain after revealing he was involved in a sexting scandal. Paine said he was involved in a text exchange with a colleague “nearly four years ago” – Follow InsideSport.in for Live updates
He addressed the media in Hobart on Friday to make the announcement, reading a brief statement with tears in his eyes.
Tim Paine Sexting Scandal: Australian captain quits ahead of Ashes after shocking controversy: Follow LIVE Updates
Tim Paine Quits – What exactly happened? Paine has resigned as Australian captain after being caught in a shocking sexting scandal just before the Ashes kicks off next month. Paine, who has been the skipper since 2018 allegedly sent lewd pictures and texts to a female co-worker.
- Paine sent the text messages to a Cricket Tasmania employee in November 2017, shortly before the first Ashes Test of that summer.
- He was then made captain of the Australian team in March 2018, after the Cape Town sandpaper scandal.
- Cricket Australia was made aware of these texts when the woman in question made a complaint, a few months after Paine took on the captaincy.
- A Cricket Australia investigation was held, which Paine says “exonerated” him
- Now, in late 2021, Paine says the texts were to be made public by the media, prompting him to resign as Test captain
Tim Paine Sexting Scandal: He was made aware recently the text exchange would become public and chose to step down, but he will remain a member of Australia’s men’s Test squad.
“It’s an incredibly difficult decision, but the right one for me, my family, and cricket,” Tim Paine said.
“As a background on my decision, nearly four years ago I was involved in a text exchange with a then-colleague.
“At the time, the exchange was the subject of a thorough CA Integrity Unit investigation, throughout which I fully participated in and openly participated in.
“That investigation and a Cricket Tasmania HR investigation at the same time found that there had been no breach of the Cricket Australia code of conduct.”
Who will Australia’s next Test captain be? Pat Cummins is the current vice-captain of the team, and surely must be the logical choice.
Steve Smith will also enter the discussion, but perhaps CA will have reservations about replacing a Test captain forced to resign after a scandal by the last Test captain forced to resign after a scandal.
Another candidate could be Marnus Labuschagne – Cricket Australia is likely to announce the name of the next captain soon.
Tim Paine Sexting Scandal: