PAK vs NZ cancelled: Big setback for PCB under Ramiz Raja, cricket fraternity reacts as New Zealand abandons series at last-minute; check reactions

PAK vs NZ cancelled: Big setback for PCB under Ramiz Raja, Pakistan fans fumes as New Zealand abandons series at last-minute; check reactions
PAK vs NZ cancelled: Big setback for PCB under Ramiz Raja, Pakistan fans fumes as New Zealand abandons series at last-minute; check reactions

PAK vs NZ cancelled: Big setback for PCB under Ramiz Raja, cricket fraternity reacts as New Zealand abandons series at last-minute; check reactions – The New Zealand cricket team has cancelled its tour of Pakistan Friday after informing the PCB of a “security alert”.

Also Read: PAK vs NZ cancelled: Pakistan Cricket Board stunned, despite Prime Minister Imran Khan’s assurace, NZ cancels tour of Pakistan

A press release by the PCB confirmed the statement. “Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series,” reads the press release. 

PCB’s newly appointed chief Ramiz Raja also took to Twitter to react to appolosie fans as New Zealand cancels the tour.

Former Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar lashed out at the New Zealand cricket authorities for cancelling the series unilaterally, saying that Pakistan has been embarrassed in front of the world.

“We stand firm with our government, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), our army and security agencies. I agree that the ISI is the number one intelligence agency in the world. You [New Zealand authorities] arrived here after obtaining a security clearance. You have no right to embarrass Pakistan like that and leave,” said the Rawalpindi Express, speaking to Geo News.

Cricketer Mohammad Hafeez on Friday stated that New Zealand Cricket postponing their tour of Pakistan is sad news for the whole nation.

New Zealand was slated to play their first match on Pakistan soil since 2003. The side was to play hosts on Friday in the first of three ODIs in Rawalpindi, before moving to Lahore for a five-match T20 series. “Pakistan is Safe & Proud nation. Postponing series is absolutely Sad news for whole Nation,” tweeted Hafeez.

Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan spoke to New Zealand counterpart Jacinda Ardern before Blackcaps announced they are abandoning their tour of Pakistan. Imran Khan assured Ardern that Pakistan has one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team but New Zealand Cricket (NZC) still decided to return home after the NZ government security alert.

PAK vs NZ

PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. “However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last minute withdrawal,” PCB in a statement said.

Pakistan Cricket Board

NZC had said arrangements are now being made for the team’s departure. New Zealand Cricket Players Association chief executive Heath Mills echoed NZC chief executive David White’s sentiments. “We’ve been across this process throughout and are fully supportive of the decision. The players are in good hands; they’re safe — and everyone’s acting in their best interests,” he said.

NZC said it will not comment on the details of the security threat nor the updated arrangements for the departing squad.