Most Grand Slam Titles: Novak Djokovic achieves THREE SPECIAL RECORDS after winning Wimbledon FINALS, CHECK OUT and follow Djokovic vs Kyrgios LIVE
Most Grand Slam Titles – Novak Djokovic WINS 21st GRAND SLAM TITLE: Djokovic BEAT Kyrgios HIGHLIGHTS (4-6, 6-3, 6-4, 7-6): Novak Djokovic…
Most Grand Slam Titles – Novak Djokovic WINS 21st GRAND SLAM TITLE: Djokovic BEAT Kyrgios HIGHLIGHTS (4-6, 6-3, 6-4, 7-6): Novak Djokovic has won his 7th Wimbledon title beating Nick Kyrgios in FINALS. Djokovic won in 4 sets after more than 3 hours of pulsating tennis. Djokovic lost the 1st set 4-6 but came back strongly to win the next 3 sets: Follow Wimbledon Final LIVE Updates and Wimbledon 2022 LIVE with InsideSport.IN.
With the win on Sunday in the Wimbledon 2022 Finals, Djokovic has levelled with America’s great Pete Sampras with seven Wimbledon titles. Only Roger Federer in men’s singles has won the prestigious Wimbledon tournament more with eight titles to his credit. This was also the World No.3’s 28th consecutive victory at the Wimbledon. He last lost a match in 2017.
Most Grand Slam Titles: Novak Djokovic chases three SPECIAL RECORDS today in Wimbledon FINALS, CHECK OUT and follow Djokovic vs Kyrgios LIVE
Novak Djokovic equals Pete Sampras with 7 Wimbledon titles –
- After beating Kyrgios, Djokovic has equalled Pete Sampras with seven titles.
- The Serbian star first won the Wimbledon title in 2011, beating Rafael Nadal in the final, since then he has added six more to his tally.
- Sampras on the flip side won his first of seven in 1993 and his last title came in 2000.
- However, the tally for most Wimbledon Men’s singles titles is led by Roger Federer on 8, having reached the Wimbledon final on 12 occasions.
- Martina Navratilova has won the Women’s singles titles on nine occasions, most at the SW19.
Most Wimbledon titles in Men’s Singles
|Roger Federer||Switzerland||8 (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012, 2017)|
|Pete Sampras||USA||7 (1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000)|
|Novak Djokovic||Serbia||7 (2011, 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022)|
|Bjorn Borg||Sweden||5 (1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980)|
|John McEnroe||USA||3 (1981, 1983, 1984)|
|Boris Becker||USA||3 (1985, 1986, 1989)|
|John Newcombe||Australia||2 (1970, 1971)|
28-match unbeaten run at Wimbledon
Djokovic has now won 28 consecutive wins at Wimbledon. He won the title in 2018, 2019, 2021. Djokovic last lost a match at Wimbledon in 2017. That too was an injury retirement against Tomáš Berdych when he trailed 6-7, 0-2.
He last lost a Wimbledon match in direct contest in 2016 against Sam Querrey. At that time he was eliminated in the third round. Currently Djokovic’s streak of 28 consecutive unbeaten is the fourth longest in the history of tournament. He only trails Roger Federer, Pete Sampras and Swede Bjorn Borg.
The indomitable Mr. Cool won 41 matches in a row in 1980’s.
Men with the longest winning streaks at Wimbledon (Open Era)
Bjorn Borg (1976-1981) – 41
Roger Federer (2003-2008)- 40
Pete Sampras (1997-2001) – 31
Novak Djokovic (2018-) – 28
Rafael Nadal (2008-2011) – 20
Djokovic surpasses Roger Federer for Most Grand Slam titles-
- The No.1 Wimbledon seed has won his 21st Grand Slam title and has surpassed Roger Federer.
- However, it is the Spaniard Rafael Nadal who has the most Grand Slam singles titles with 22.
- A win for Djokovic will see him go on 21 Grand Slam titles, surpassing Federer.
- Djokovic will have the US Open to equal Nadal after the No.2 seed pulled out of the Wimbledon semifinal due to groin issue.
Most Grand Slam Titles
Rafael Nadal -22
Novak Djokovic – 21*
Roger Federeer – 20
Pete Sampras – 14