IPL 2022: Offers lining up Gary Kirsten’s door? Will he take up IPL Ahmedabad team coaching or will he coach South Africa or England test team?
IPL 2022 – Who will Gary Kirsten coach? India’s World Cup-winning coach Gary Kirsten is a man in demand these days. The…
IPL 2022 – Who will Gary Kirsten coach? India’s World Cup-winning coach Gary Kirsten is a man in demand these days. The coaching offers & options for the former South African opener is increasing by the day. He is in line to become yet to be named Ahmedabad IPL Franchise’s head coach for the debut season. If that is not enough, Kirsten is also reportedly has a offer from Cricket South Africa & a option to coach the England test team: Follow all Cricket News LIVE Updates on InsideSport.IN
IPL 2022: Offers lining up Gary Kirsten’s door? Will he take up IPL Ahmedabad team coaching or will coach South Africa or England test team?
Offers / Options on Table for Gary Kirsten?
- IPL 2022 Ahmedabad Team Head Coach: InsideSport had earlier reported that Kirsten is approached by CVC Partners backed Ahmedabad IPL Team for a coaching role. The deal is yet to be signed on the dotted line as CVC is still waiting for official LETTER of INTENT to operate the team from BCCI’s side.
- South Africa Head Coach: Kirsten already has once made South Africa No. 1 Test side in the world. He reportedly is again being approached by CSA to take over the coaching role.
- England Cricket Team Head Coach: England test team & coach Chris Silverwood’s reputation is in tatters after Ashes humiliation. According to British papers, Kirsten is tipped to replace Silverwood. The man himself says, ‘he is interested’ but with a condition that ‘he won’t coach the white-ball side’
“I’ve walked this journey twice now (when England recruited new coaches in 2015 and 2019) and I’ve always made it clear that I would never commit to doing all formats,” Kirsten told i News.
“And when international cricket boards get their head around the fact that they need to split coaching roles, then it becomes a consideration,” he added.
Kirsten feels World Champions England doesn’t need to make any changes to their ODI setup but he was critical of Test performance.
“Listen, the England ODI side is set up, you’re the best ODI side in the world at the moment. It’s a project that has been well thought out, you’ve got consistency in the players that have been picked,” Kirsten said, adding, “Test side has battled for a while but it would be a really lovely project to get that going.”
As a professional, Gary Kirsten has guided India and Proteas to World No.1 status in Tests.
- Kirsten guided India to triumph at the 2011 World Cup, defeating Sri Lanka in the final.
- He then took South Africa to the top of the ICC rankings in August 2012
- The 54-year-old has also coached in the Indian Premier League.
- He spent this summer as the head coach of the Welsh Fire in The Hundred.
- Will England accept changes to different red-ball & white-ball formats? The ECB would have to break with tradition.
Former England batsman Nick Compton has backed Gary Kirsten for the role.
“I would make a change now. I think Silverwood is a good man and did the best he can. Kirsten would be the right person. He understands top-level batting, he’s been there in a consistent fashion,” he said.
He also pointed fingers at Ashley Giles saying he didn’t make the right appointments.
“It’s about getting the right people into the right places. I don’t think Giles has made the right appointments. I think Kirsten should have got the coaching job, someone who’s more skilled, with experience of taking teams to No 1 in the world, who has won World Cups. With all due respect to Silverwood, he’s given his absolute best, but he hasn’t had the long-term experience of being a head coach,” he added.
Ashes 2021-22 LIVE: World Cup-winning coach Gary Kirsten seeks interest in becoming next England coach
For more sports news and Ashes 2021-22 LIVE score updates, follow us at InsideSport.IN