IPL 2021 – CSK, Punjab planning to shift training base: Chennai Super Kings and Punjab Kings is seriously contemplating shifting its “training camp” to Mumbai two weeks before there 1st matches in IPL 2021. MS Dhoni and KL Rahul’s teams confirmed to InsideSport that with neutral venue rules coming into existence they are deliberating to shift training base in Mumbai.
It is worth noting that CSK camp in Chennai is starting from Tuesday. Despite that CSK management may shift their training base in Mumbai at some stage as they play first few matches in Mumbai.
“Yes certainly we will think about the possibility of shifting our camp but a decision will be taken in a week’s time. As of now we are starting our camp in Chennai from tomorrow (April 9) with the players who are available,” said CSK CEO Kashi Vishwanathan.
Same is the situation with Rahul led Punjab Kings. Punjab will play their first match in IPL 2021 against Rajasthan Royals on April 12, followed by match against CSK on 16th April and Delhi Capitals on 18th. All of these games will be played in Mumbai.
“Since it will be a long stay in a particular city, it’s prudent if we hold our camp near the venue of our initial matches. There is no point in camping in Mohali if our matches are in Mumbai. We will be camping in the city or nearabouts to acclimatize with the conditions,” Punjab Kings CEO Satish Menon told InsideSport.co.
Why IPL teams are shifting their training base? Reason, all the matches of IPL 2021 will be played at the Neutral Venues and their will be no home advantage for any IPL franchise.
What does this mean ? This means MS Dhoni will not play any match in Chennai and Rohit Sharma will not play any match in Mumbai. All the teams will play their IPL League games at Neutral Venues. Meanwhile MI vs RCB will kickstart the IPL 2021 in Chennai.
“One of the highlights of this edition of the VIVO IPL will be the fact that all matches will be played at neutral venues, no team will play at their home venue. All teams will play at 4 out of 6 venues during the league stage”, said Jay Shah, Sec of BCCI.
IPL 2021 Venues & Schedule: 10 Top Highlights of the IPL 2021 schedule
- The season will kickstart on 9th April, 2021 in Chennai with a high octane clash between defending champions MI vs RCB i.e Mumbai Indians vs Royal Challengers Bangalore.
- All Matches at Neutral Venues, Caravan Format will be applied
- Each team is set to play at four venues during the league stage.
- Out of the 56 league matches, Chennai, Mumbai, Kolkata & Bengaluru will host 10 matches each while Ahmedabad and Delhi will host 8 matches each.
- One of the highlights of this edition of the VIVO IPL will be the fact that all matches will be played at neutral venues, no team will play at their home venue. All teams will play at 4 out of 6 venues during the league stage.
- There will be a total of 11 double headers where 6 teams will play three afternoon matches & two teams will play two afternoon matches. The afternoon games are slated for a 3:30 PM IST start while the evening games will have a 7:30 PM IST start.
- The World’s Largest Cricket Stadium – Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad will host the Playoffs as well as the final on 30th May, 2021 which promises to be a visual spectacle. The newly-built stadium that hosted India’s second Pink Ball fixture at home with great grandeur will host its first ever IPL.
- The fixtures of the tournament have been mapped in a way that every team will travel only three times during the league stage, thus reducing commute and minimising risk.
- The VIVO IPL this year at home will be played behind closed doors to begin with and a call on allowing spectators will be taken at a later stage of the tournament.