India tour of England: James Anderson on verge of creating history, set to surpass Anil Kumble – England premier pacer James Anderson is all set to add yet another feather in his illustrious cap as he will eye to surpass India spinner Anil Kumble’s wicket tally in Test cricket when he will take on the field for the first Test against India on August 4 at Nottingham. James Anderson is the highest wicket-taker in Test cricket as a fast bowler. (ENG vs IND)
India tour of England: India great Anil Kumble has 619 wickets in 132 matches with an average of 29.65. Anderson has 617 wickets to his name in 162 matches with an average of 26.67.
Name Matches Wickets Average
Muthiah Muralidaran 133 800 22.72
Shane Warne 145 708 25.41
Anil Kumble 132 619 29.65
James Anderson 162 617 26.67
James Anderson is the only fast bowler in the history of Test cricket to taken 600 plus wickets.
India tour of England: Anderson, in the first Test against New Zealand in June, had picked two wickets, which took his career tally to 616 wickets from 161 matches. He has claimed these wickets at an average of 26.58. That means that Anderson is only four wickets away from the feat.(ENG vs IND)
Let’s have a look at records held by James Anderson.
- First fast bowler to take 50 wickets against all other 7 major Test-playing nations, Australia, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka and West Indies.
- He is the ninth cricketer to play in 150 Test matches.
- The bowler with the most five-wicket hauls for England in Test cricket.
- He is the only seam bowler to take 300+ Test wickets on home soil.
- He is the first pace bowler, and second player overall, to take 100 Test wickets at a single venue.
- He has the most international Test deliveries bowled by a pace bowler.
- He holds the world record for “not out” batting performances in Test cricket