India at Tokyo Olympics: Bajrang Punia is representing India in the men’s freestyle 65kg category, is the best bet for winning an Olympic medal. Punia posted a picture with the legendary Mary Kom at the Olympic village. Mary Kom who bowed out of the Round of 16 event against Colombia’s Valencia said “Yes, yes. Why not? I still have the age. I can play till 40,” while speaking to ANI about a comeback.
Mary Kom trailed 4-1 in the opening round with four of the five judges scoring it 10-9 in favor of Valencia.
In the next two rounds, Mary Kom got three of the five judges to rule in her favor but the overall score-line was still in favor of Valencia. The 38-year-old needed a 4-1 verdict in the final round to swing the bout for her.
Bajrang who will play his first match on August 6, tweeted this:
— Bajrang Punia 🇮🇳 (@BajrangPunia) August 2, 2021
Bajrang has three world championship medals to his name, which no other wrestler in this contingent has. The wrestler won bronze in 2013, silver in 2018, and bronze in the 2019 World Championships.
The 27-years-old wrestler will also be the flag bearer for the country in the Tokyo Olympics closing ceremony.
India at Tokyo Olympics – Wrestling schedule Tokyo Olympics
- Tuesday, 03rd August, (07:30 – 10:00) (IST)
– Women’s Freestyle 62kg 1/8 Finals (Sonam Malik)
- Wednesday, 04th August, (07:30 – 10:00) (IST)
– Women’s Freestyle 57kg 1/8 Finals (Anshu Malik)
– Men’s Freestyle 57kg 1/8 Finals (Ravi Kumar Dahiya)
– Men’s Freestyle 86kg 1/8 Finals (Deepak Punia)
- Thursday, 05th August, (07:30 – 10:00) (IST)
– Women’s Freestyle 53kg 1/8 Finals (Vinesh Phogat)
- Friday, 6 August, (07:30 – 10:00) (IST)
– Men’s Freestyle 65kg 1/8 Finals (Bajrang Punia)
– Women’s Freestyle 50kg 1/8 Finals (Seema Bisla)
Tokyo Olympics Wrestling LIVE Streaming details & all other details – All Tokyo Olympic Wrestling Matches will be Live Streamed on SonyLIV in India & Follow them LIVE on InsideSport.co.