Jasprit Bumrah Injury Update: RULED OUT of IPL 2023, Bumrah set to return to NCA after successful surgery, BCCI to take cautious approach with risk of ‘career-threatening injury’ – Follow LIVE Updates
Jasprit Bumrah Injury Update: Team India pacer Jasprit Bumrah could face a career-threatening injury if his recovery from a back injury is…
Jasprit Bumrah Injury Update: Team India pacer Jasprit Bumrah could face a career-threatening injury if his recovery from a back injury is botched. Bumrah’s return was rushed last with the T20 World Cup in mind, but the fast bowler suffered further having not played competitive cricket in more than six months. He successfully underwent surgery in NewZealand. He will return to the NCA soon, with the BCCI charting a recovery plan for him in the build up to the 2023 ODI World Cup. Follow IPL 2023 LIVE Updates on Insidesport.IN
Jasprit Bumrah last played for India in October and missed the Asia Cup and the t20 World Cup last year. He was named in the squads for the SriLanka series but his back issue flared up again. Now India’s spearhead has undergone surgery in NewZealand. He will miss the IPL 2023, the World Test Championship Final and the Asia Cup 2023. The BCCI is keen to get Bumrah ready for the 2023 World Cup home, but as per the latest reports, he could miss out on action for most of the year.
Also Read: Asia Cup 2023: Win-Win for BCCI, PCB as Asia Cup to be held in Pakistan, India’s matches moved to neutral venue as UAE, Oman, SriLanka among options – Follow LIVE Updates
“His back is in a fragile state right now. Besides, last time Bumrah’s return was hastened. Since he hadn’t fully recovered, he had discomfort while bowling on his return. This time, we are more conservative as a wrong call might even result in a career-threatening injury,” said a BCCI official to Indian Express.
As per the report, Bumrah will return to India before the end of March or the 1st week of April. Upon this, the NCA will chart a rehabilitation plan. He is already ruled out of the IPL 2023 and the World Test Championship. NCA physios and doctors will monitor him closely with chief VVS Laxman overseeing the same.
Jasprit Bumrah Injury Timeline
- July 2022: Bumrah reported a back problem after the 2nd ODI against England in July 2022 and missed the 3rd ODI. Upon further consultation, it turned out to be a re-emergence of the back injury that he suffered in 2019.
- August 2022: Missed the ODI series in West Indies. Returned to the NCA after his back issue flared up.
- August 2022: Bumrah missed the Asia Cup as he failed to recover in time.
- September 2022: After a two-and-half-month recovery, Bumrah was rushed to return to the South Africa series ahead of the T20 WC.
- September 2022: After bowling just 6 overs in two T20s, the move backfired as Bumrah aggravated the injury.
- October 2022: Bumrah was ruled out of T20 World Cup entirely.
- November 2022: The pacer missed the New Zealand tour.
- December 2022: He also missed the Bangladesh tour.
- January 2023: Although he was initially named in the Sri Lanka ODI series, he was pulled out after he complained of back pain at the NCA while performing a higher workload in a fitness session.
- February 2023: Bumrah was ruled out of the Border Gavaskar Trophy.
- February 2023: Bumrah was ruled out of IPL 2023 & WTC Final.
Also Read: Shreyas Iyer Injury Update: Shreyas Iyer goes against BCCI, NCA advice of surgery…
The report states that there remains absolute secrecy on the extent of Bumrah’s injury issues. NCA chief Laxman is amongst the few aware and is assigned to look over the matters. The Selection Committee also remains unaware and will be informed of the updates in due course.
“It is difficult to set a return date. Once he recovers from surgery, he will undergo a rehab and only when the rehab ends, we will know when he can come back,” a senior BCCI official told InsideSport earlier.
With 6 months of suggested time, it can be estimated that Bumrah might take the nets by August. With the Asia Cup set to commence in September, under no circumstance can he take part in the tournament. However, the biggest tournament, i.e the ICC World Cup is what Bumrah will be aiming for.
The ICC World Cup 2023 is set to take place in India in October and November. If Bumrah recovers in time and gains 100% fitness only then will he be able to find his name in the squad.
Follow InsideSport on GOOGLE NEWS / Follow ICC World Cup 2023 Live Updates with InsideSport.IN.