Big win for BCCI as SLC, BCB & ACB shoot down PCB’s Asia Cup hybrid model
With PCB losing support of all other boards, Pakistan’s fate in Asia Cup 2023 hangs in balance.
In what is a major win for the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has lost all support in Asia Cup 2023. Sri Lanka Cricket, Bangladesh Cricket and Afghanistan Cricket have shot down PCB’s dream ‘Hybrid Model’. Now, if Asia Cup go ahead, it will only be played at a neutral venue, preferably in Sri Lanka. BCCI was adamant in moving Asia Cup out of Pakistan.
PCB chief Najam Sethi initially received support from all three boards except BCCI. In the proposed model, Pakistan would have hosted four matches. The rest of the matches involving India and the Final would have been played in Sri Lanka or the UAE.
However, with the BCCI secretary Jay Shah, who is also the head of Asian Cricket Council, refusing to approve the model, PCB slowly lost support.
Now, if the tournament goes ahead, it will go ahead at a neutral venue. But the question remains whether Pakistan will take part in the competition. PCB had already threatened to boycott Asia Cup if hybrid model does not get approval.
What is PCB’s Asia Cup 2023 Hybrid Model?
- In the new hybrid model, the tournament will be played in two halves.
- In the first phase, Pakistan will host Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Nepal.
- The 2nd phase will have India’s matches at a neutral venue.
- Sri Lanka is the preferred destination as India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka are opposing UAE due to heat.
- The neutral venue will also host the final even if India fail to qualify.
- Once the ACC officially announces the hybrid model, the schedule will be announced at the end of June.
Earlier, a senior BCCI official confirmed to InsideSport that there is absolutely zero chance that Pakistan would host Asia Cup.
“There is absolutely zero chance that Pakistan will host Asia Cup. We will also take it to the ICC so that the Champions Trophy is also shifted out. For now, Sri Lanka is likely to host the tournament. But a final decision will be taken only at the ACC meeting,” a senior BCCI official close to the development told InsideSport.
Follow InsideSport on GOOGLE NEWS / Follow IND vs AUS WTC Final Live Updates with InsideSport.IN.