BCCI AGM Key Points : BCCI approves 10-team IPL from 2022; Needs clarification on inclusion of cricket in 2028 Olympics
BCCI AGM Key Points: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) held its 89th Annual General Meeting (AGM) today in…
BCCI AGM Key Points: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) held its 89th Annual General Meeting (AGM) today in Ahmedabad in which BCCI approved 10-team IPL from 2022 edition and are backing ICC’s bid for cricket’s inclusion in 2028 Olympics after some clarifications from IOC.
Also, a board member who attended the meeting said that the secretary and treasurer will speak to the government and look at a way to get tax exemption for the two showpiece events that India is to hold.
Some of the key decisions taken during the AGM are as follows:
- The Electoral Officer, Mr. AK Joti announced the election of Mr. Rajeev Shukla as Vice President of BCCI. Further, Mr. Brijesh Patel and Mr. KM Majumdar were unanimously re-elected as members representative to the IPL Governing Council by the General Body.
- Mr. Pragyan Ojha who was nominated by the Indian Cricketers Association (ICA) as a player representative, was inducted to the IPL Governing Council at the AGM.
- The General Body authorized the IPL Governing Council to include up to ten teams to the Indian Premier League. The IPL GC will work out the modalities regarding scheduling for up to 10 teams.
- The General Body also decided to seek further clarification from the ICC on their proposal to include cricket in the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics.
- The BCCI also increased the limit of reimbursement of insurance medical claim of retired First Class Cricketers to INR 10 Lakhs.
- The retirement age of the BCCI affiliated umpires and scorers has also been increased to 60 years.
- The General Body approved disbursement of funds to the ICA.
The General Body also authorized the Office Bearers of the BCCI to decide on the following matters:
- Appointment of Cricket Committee, Standing Committees and Umpires Committee.
- BCCI’s representative to ICC Board of Directors and or any similar organization.
- Setting up the new National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru and the subsequent plan to establish zonal academies.
- Decide the venues for the upcoming ICC T20 World Cup 2021.
- Decide on the BCCI Domestic season 2020-21 and form a working group in order to compensate the players, match officials and others involved in cricketing activity if they are not able to participate due to cancellation of cricket matches/tournaments owing to COVID-19.
4:30 PM: BCCI AGM LIVE UPDATES
“We are set to host the 2021 T20 World Cup as well as the 50-over World Cup in 2023. We need to speak to the government to see if we can get tax exemption and for this we have decided that our secretary Jay Shah and treasurer Arun Dhumal will speak to the government. If the government doesn’t agree, we will then decide on how to go about it. We also have the 2016 World T20 matter pending, so that will also have to be worked out,” a board member said.
4:06 PM: BCCI AGM LIVE UPDATES
- In other decisions, veteran Congress leader Rajiv Shukla was officially anointed the Board’s vice president in place of his protege Mahim Verma from Uttarakhand.
- It was also learnt that the general body decided in favour of Sourav Ganguly continuing as a director in the ICC Board.
- Secretary Jay Shah will be the alternate director as well as India’s representative at the Chief Executive Committee meets of the global body.
4:05 PM: BCCI AGM LIVE UPDATES
It has been decided that all first-class players, both men and women, will be suitably compensated for the curtailed domestic season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Also, the BCCI plans to get the domestic season underway, after several months’ delay, in January with the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 championship.
3:50 PM: BCCI AGM LIVE UPDATES
BCCI to back ICC’s bid for cricket’s inclusion in 2028 Olympics after some clarifications from IOC.
3:50 PM: BCCI AGM LIVE UPDATES
BCCI general body approves 10-team IPL from 2022 edition at its AGM in Ahmedabad.
2:45 PM: BCCI AGM LIVE UPDATES
BCCI members are now contemplating on including two new teams in IPL and it is likely that they will approve the addition of 2 more teams but for IPL 2022 instead of IPL 2021.
1:40 PM: BCCI AGM LIVE UPDATES
– GM KVP Rao, who has been looking after domestic cricket, was asked to resign ahead of the AGM meeting and he has already put down his papers.
12:30 PM: BCCI AGM LIVE UPDATES
The BCCI’s Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC), which is set to pick three national selectors for the upcoming series against England, is all set to get an extension at the board’s 89th Annual General Meeting in Ahmedabad on Thursday.
PTI reported that according to BCCI sources, the CAC, headed by former World Cup-winning bowler Madan Lal and comprising RP Singh and Sulakshana Naik, will continue to perform their duties as usual.
The trio’s extension is set to be ratified at the AGM.
President Sourav Ganguly and secretary Jay Shah at the BCCI’s 89th Annual General Meeting in Ahmedabad today.
📸 Vijay Soneji pic.twitter.com/O9dzwWJWVe
— Sportstar (@sportstarweb) December 24, 2020
Meanwhile, speculation is rife that BCCI’s president Sourav Ganguly’s conflict of interest issue will also come for discussion during the AGM. But neither it is listed in the agenda nor according to the information available with InsideSport it will come up for any discussion.
“We are here to discuss very important agenda circulated by the Secretary. Sourav’s personal endorsements is a complete non-issue. No way it will be discussed or raised in the meeting”, said one of the senior BCCI official who has already reached Ahmedabad for the meeting.
Also Read:BCCI AGM update : New Cricket Advisory Committee will be appointed to finalise 3 national selectors
Also Read:IPL 2021 New Teams : BCCI AGM to approve 2 new IPL teams but from IPL 2022
89th Annual General Meeting of BCCI – AGENDA
The BCCI AGM starts at 12 today and 23 points are listed on the agenda –
1. Confirmation of the minutes of the 88th Annual General Meeting of BCCI held on December 1, 2019 at BCCI Headquarters, Cricket Centre, Mumbai.
2. Election of the Vice-President.
3. Election of 2 (two) representatives of the General Body in the Governing Council of the IPL.
4. Induction/appointment of the following members of the Governing Council:
(a) 2 (two) representatives of the General Body; and
(b) 1 (one) representative of the Indian Cricketer’s Association;
5. Adoption of the report of the secretary for the year 2019-20 under review.
6. Adoption of the treasurer’s report and the audited accounts for the year FY 2018-19.
7. Adoption of the Annual Budget for the year FY 2020-21.
8. Appointment of the Auditor or Auditors for the year 2019-20 and 2020-21 and fix their remuneration.
9. Appointment of the Ombudsman and Ethics Officer.
10. Appointment of the Cricket Committees and Standing Committees as mentioned in Rules 26 and 25 respectively.
11. Appointment of the Umpires Committee as mentioned in Rule 27.
12. Consideration of:
(a) the Report and recommendations of the Apex Council, the CEO and the Committees and to propose policy directions to the Apex Council;
(b) the Report and recommendations of the Governing Council and to propose policy directions to the Governing Council;
(c) the Reports of the Ombudsman and Ethics Officer and any recommendations made therein;
13. Consideration of any motion, notice whereof is given by a Full Member to the Secretary, 21 (twenty-one) days before the meeting.
14. To appoint the BCCI’s Representative or Representatives on the International Cricket Council and/or any similar organization.
15. Approval on inclusion of 2 (two) new team to the Indian Premier League.
16. Discussion of BCCI’s stand on inclusion of cricket in Los Angeles Olympic Games in 2028.
17. To update on ICC matters – ICC Tax Exemption Issue
18. To update on National Cricket Academy matters.
19. To update on ICC T20 World Cup 2021 scheduled to be held in India.
20. To update on India’s Future Tour Programs.
21. Ratification of rules framed by the Apex Council, in terms of Rule 15 of BCCI’s Rules and Regulations.
22. Consideration of any business, which the President may consider necessary to be included in the agenda.
23. Transaction of any other business of an informal character as may be permitted by the Chairperson.
The AGM was earlier postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic
What is the status with 2 NEW IPL Teams ?
InsideSport has already reported that BCCI AGM will approve the inclusion of two new teams but from IPL 2022. According to the info available BCCI members are of the view, that to include two new teams with immediate effect will be not feasible – but they are all set to approve new teams for IPL 2022.
What is the ICC T20 World Cup Tax Exemption Issue ?
THE ICC wants tax exemptions for next year’s T20 World Cup to be hosted in India. BCCI has been given various deadlines by ICC to provide tax exemption certificate from the Indian government which is mandatory to host ICC events. BCCI AGM will discuss the issue among its members and decide the way forward.
The ICC new deadline is for December 31.“As per Clause 10.20 of host agreement for this event, the BCCI is obligated to deliver to ICC a full tax exemption for all income arising out of this event in favour of ICC, its sub- sidiaries and associates and its Members at least 18 month prior to the start of the event,” the BCCI has mentioned in the agenda papers for its 89th Annual General Meeting to be held in Ahmedabad on Thursday.
Cricket in Olympics
The ICC is targeting the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics but so far the BCCI has shown reluctance to cricket’s inclusion in the Olympics. There’s an apprehension that cricket in T20 format in the Olympics can negatively affect the revenue stream from bilateral and global T20 events. BCCI is meeting will decide their stand on Cricket in Olympics.