IPL 2022 Retention Updates – PBKS, RCB, KKR to look for new captains: Punjab Kings (PBKS), Kolkata Knight Rider (KKR), Royal Challengers Bangalore will be looking in a new direction as the IPL 2022 mega auctions. Punjab Kings captain KL Rahul has already made his intentions clear of leaving the team. Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) and Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) will also be on the lookout for leadership options. Follow Insidesport.in for all IPL 2022 retention updates.
IPL 2022 Retention Updates: Captaincy blues for 3 IPL teams, check which teams are retaining their captains & which ones are looking for new leaders?
Punjab Kings – New Captain Required
After four seasons with the Punjab Kings, KL Rahul is seeking new pastures and is reportedly being viewed as a captaincy option by the new Lucknow franchise. According to sources, yet to be named Lucknow IPL team has already finalized a deal with Rahul for the next 3 seasons. A source further informed InsideSport that promoters & senior management of the team have already met KL Rahul multiple times and the flamboyant Indian opener has agreed to lead the franchise.
Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) – New Captain Required
- With Virat Kohli stepping down from his role, it is still undecided that who will captain RCB in IPL 2022. The team based out of Bengaluru has already named Sanjay Bangar as their new coach for the season, but captain stays undecided.
- Since Kohli has made it clear that he will stay with RCB for retention, Glenn Maxwell will be the other big name which franchise will retain – but cant be seen as CAPTAINCY option.
- AB De Villiers has retired – it’s clear team will now have to find a new leader for the forthcoming season.
IPL 2022 Retention Updates
Kolkata Knight Riders – New Captain Required
- KKR had a season full of twists & turns. They reached finals but IPL 2021 was nothing less than a topsy turvy ride for KKR.
- After dismal first phase, things drastically changed in the UAE leg for KKR.
- However, Eoin Morgan failed to end the 7-year-old jinx for third trophy for KKR in the final against MS Dhoni’s CSK.
- Morgan might have performed as a leader but his own form was drastic. He scored 133 runs in 17 matches at a shocking average 11, posing a question mark on his IPL future.
- As per information – Morgan is not getting retained by KKR.
Rajasthan Royals – Continuing with Sanju Samson
- All was not looking well between Sanju Samson and Rajasthan Royals. Samson had reportedlly fallen apart with RR management and did not wished to be retained.
- The highest run-scorer for the ‘Halla Bol’ team was upset with something and unfollowed the official team on social media platforms.
- But now the NEWS is Samson is getting retained by the FRANCHISE & will be given 14 Cr in Salary for the next season.
- IPL 2022: Sanju Samson retained as RR captain at 14 crore…
Sunrisers Hyderabad – Likely to continue with Kane Williamson
Delhi Capitals – Rishabh Pant to continue as captain
Mumbai Indians – Rohit Sharma to continue as captain
Chennai Super Kings – MS Dhoni to continue as captain
Ahmedabad & Lucknow
- Ahmedabad, Lucknow obviously will start with new leader. As per the IPL Retention rules, they will be allowed to pick 3 players before the IPL Auctions.
- One of these 3 picks is likely to lead these teams in Season 15.
- 2 New teams will have to finalise their 3 players outside of auction between 1st December 2021 to 30th December 2021.
- Teams can pick a maximum of two Indian players and a foreigner after the cricketers are retained by existing franchises.
IPL 2022 Retention Updates