In Dream11 IPL 2020 Chennai Super Kings’ terrible performance against Mumbai Indians on Friday perfectly portrays their IPL 2020 campaign as the MS Dhoni-led side was thrashed by 10 wickets in the match no. 41 of IPL 13. After put to bat first, CSK were horrible from the very first ball. The whole team including captain MS Dhoni looked clueless and showed no intent to fight.
End of Road for CSK’s Dads army, ‘fresh team way forward for IPL 2021’ says Dhoni
CSK has 3 more games remaining in the tournament, they are mathematically not out of IPL 2020 as yet. But skipper MS Dhoni is now cleared that focus should be on rebuilding.
“Well, it does hurt and what you need to see is what are the things that are going wrong,” Dhoni told host broadcaster Star Sports at the post-match presentation.
“It is important for us have a clear picture about next year,” he said. “There are a lot of ifs and buts: the kind of auction we are looking into next year, where the venues will be. It is always good to give guys who have not so far got enough chances to form a settled playing XI. You give them enough chances to really give them a platform where they can perform and show their talent.”
“So the coming three games will be an ideal opportunity,” Dhoni said. “We have to make the most of it because you don’t really want to be in a situation like that, but once you are what’s the most that you can get? And it is preparation for the next year.”
CSK coach and management also admits that its time to rebuild
Earlier, Chennai’s coach Stephen Fleming had admitted that, ageing team ‘has run out of juice’.
“If you’re looking at the three-year cycle – we won the first year; lost off the last ball last year, and we always thought that the third year with an ageing squad would be difficult. And Dubai [UAE] has challenged us with a whole new set of requirements,” he said.
CSK is the oldest team in IPL 2020 with the average age of the team above 31. The IPL 2020 is now a thing of past for CSK, their management and also the fans. Should they look beyond Dhoni and his old horses for IPL 2021? According to a source close to the team management, some tough calls surely will be taken for the next edition.
“See as Fleming has said, lot of chinks in the armour has been exposed this time. Some tough calls surely will be taken. The only issue is there is little time between now and the next edition”, said the concerned source on condition of anonymity.
The problem CSK will face while rebuilding the team for the next edition of IPL is that BCCI is yet to announce whether fresh auctions will be conducted for IPL 2021 or the same teams will be retained. CSK definitely will have to fight on the timelines if they decide to rebuild.
Which players have seen their last IPL with CSK?
It is difficult to predict which players will be shunted out of the squad at this stage. But one thing is certain, in the name of continuity CSK promoters or management is unlikely to persist with ‘ageing’ unit. This means it will be end of the road for most of the seniors in the squad.
Players who will be in the firing line –
– Harbhajan & Raina are already through with their 3 year contract with CSK.
– Shane Watson – Difficult to imagine that CSK will persist with Watson for the new edition. He doesn’t bowl anymore and his batting bereft of consistency left a lot to be desired this time.
– Kedar Jadhav – 8 games 60 odd runs, no sane management will persist with him for the next edition at the age of 36
– Piyush Chawla – Is also certain to get boot from CSK. 32-year-old Chawla looked liability on the field and he bowled without any zing during the games he played
– Imran Tahir – Soon to be 42 is playing his first game in IPL 2020 against MI. No way he will be persisted for the next season.
– Ambati Rayudu – He did well with opportunities he got but that charisma to win games on his own stays missed with Rayudu. He is another one who may get dropped for the next IPL.
– Faf Du Plessis – Neither he failed in the batting nor his fitness is in doubt. He is also the 3rd highest scorer in Orange Cap List, but still CSK is unlikely to include him in the squad as they get on the road to rebuild the squad for IPL 2021 and beyond.
– MS Dhoni – He is a permanent fixture with CSK. To imagine CSK without him is impossible – but will he play another season – little difficult to fathom.