Jofra Archer suffers another INJURY setback, out of Ashes 2023 and entire English summer
Jofra Archer has suffered another injury setback. The premier Mumbai Indians and England pacer is out of English summer. Archer left MI…
Jofra Archer has suffered another injury setback. The premier Mumbai Indians and England pacer is out of English summer. Archer left MI camp last week after England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB) called him back following resurfacing of his elbow injury. While ECB expected him to be fit for the Ashes 2023, he has a recurrence of a stress fracture to his right elbow. He will now undergo rehabilitation with Sussex and England medical teams. Follow IPL 2023 LIVE Updates on InsideSport.IN.
“It has been a frustrating and upsetting period for Jofra Archer. He was making good progress until a recurrence of the elbow injury, which kept him out for an extended period previously. We wish him the best of luck with his recovery. I’m sure we will see Jofra back to his best and winning games for England, whatever the format. Hopefully, sooner rather than later,” ECB Managing Director for Men’s Cricket, Rob Key said in a statement.
The immediate concern for England is World Cup 2023. Archer features prominently in England’s plans for World Cup in India. However, the last time Archer developed a stress fracture, he missed out on the T20 World Cup. Now, he is facing a battle against time to be fit for the October-November event.
Jofra Archer Injury Timeline
- January 2020: Archer is r first suffered an elbow injury back in January 2020 during South Africa Test series. He missed the 2nd Test and flew back home to nurse his injury.
- February 2020: Archer’s injury is identified as a stress fracture, forcing him to a three-month rehab. He withdraws from Rajasthan Royals’ squad for IPL 2020.
- June 2020: Jofra Archer resumes light training after rehab.
- July 2020: The fast bowler returns to the England Test squad for West Indies series. He returns with 3/45 against Windies.
- March 2021: The pacer misses out on ODI series against India after developing discomfort during the T20s.
- March 2021: Archer suffers a freak injury while cleaning fish tank. He is forced to undergo surgery to remove glass fragments.
- April 2021: Archer returns to training following surgery but withdraws from IPL 2021. Instead, he returns to County cricket for Sussex, bowling 11 overs.
- May 2021: He develops soreness in his right elbow. ECB advises Archer to undergo surgery.
- August 2021: Archer targets West Indies tour to make a comeback.
- December 2021: The pacer undergoes another surgery, and misses West Indies tour.
- March 2022: Archer returns to England squad for West Indies tour and bowls in the nets. But misses out on IPL 2022.
- May 2022: Archer joins Sussex squad for white-ball tournaments. But suffers a stress fracture in his back and misses out on the entire English summer.
- October 2022: Misses out on T20 World Cup 2022 and
- December 2022: After six-month injury layoff, Archer returns to England squad for the South Africa ODI series.
- January 2022: Archer returns to competitive cricket with MI Cape Town for SA20 in South Africa. He also plays for England in ODIs with an underwhelming show. He bags 1 wicket for 81 runs in 10 overs.
- March 2023: Before IPL, he plays for England in the Bangladesh series.
- April 2023: Archer makes Mumbai Indians debut. Features in three games.
- April 2023: After an underwhelming MI debut, Archer goes off-grid for three weeks. Later, it emerges that, he has undergone a minor surgery in Belgium.
- May 2023: Archer returns for Mumbai Indians again and plays two games. But ECB calls him back to complete his rehab ahead of Ashes.
- May 2023: A week after his return to England, ECB confirms that Archer will miss the entire English summer.
Follow InsideSport on GOOGLE NEWS / Follow IPL 2023 Live Updates with InsideSport.IN.