Tokyo Olympics: Another setback, Governors refuse to allot beds for Covid-19 infected Olympians- What comes as yet another setback to Olympics and its overseas athletes, the governors of Chiba and Kanagawa prefectures have confirmed that there is no plan to allocate hospital beds for Olympic athletes infected with COVID-19. They have joined the growing chorus of voices against the Tokyo Olympics in July amid rising cases of coronavirus in Japan.
Speaking about organisers hope to work with 30 beds in the capital and nearby areas, Chiba Gov. Toshihito Kumagai said he has asked the organizing committee of this summer’s Olympics and Paralympics, to be held largely in neighbouring Tokyo, to refrain from being a drain on medical resources in his prefecture amid a resurgence of COVID-19 infections, reported Kyodo News.
Earlier on Tuesday, the governor of Kanagawa in a press conference said it cannot exclusively prepare beds for Olympic athletes as the medical system is already struggling to cope with a recent surge in infections.
Tokyo Olympics: Another setback, Governors refuse to allot beds for Covid-19 infected Olympians
The development comes after 31 hosts town for the Tokyo Olympic Games refrained from hosting overseas athletes for training camps and cultural exchanges before the games due to COVID-19 concerns. As of the end of April, a total of 528 municipalities had registered to welcome athletes from 184 countries and regions in a first-of-its-kind program for the Olympics and Paralympics.
Meanwhile, the Japanese opposition leader Yukio Edano has said that the Tokyo Olympics should be cancelled as Indian & British athletes can be dangerous for Japan. He added that it would be an “exhibition” of “highly contagious virus variants” and would increase the risk of spreading the virus in Japan.
For more sports news and Olympics latest updates, follow us at insidesport.co