The Hundred: Bad news, England players participation expected to take a hit amid COVID chaos

The Hundred: Bad news, England players participation expected to take a hit amid COVID chaos. Ben Stokes, Joe Root, and Jos Buttler
The Hundred: Bad news, England players participation expected to take a hit amid COVID chaos. Ben Stokes, Joe Root, and Jos Buttler. [Pic credits: Cricket Australia]

The Hundred: Bad news, England players participation expected to take a hit amid COVID chaos- The participation of England players for the month-long tournament is in doubt amid COVID-19 chaos that has grappled the UK. In the latest development, India player Rishabh Pant and Indian support tested positive for COVID-19. This comes days after 7 members from the England camp tested positive for the virus. If the England players miss the majority of the tournament, it will only affect the inaugural season of The Hundred which has already witnessed pull-outs from dozens of players due to a packed international calendar.

As per Dailymail, the likes of Ben Stokes, Joe Root, and Jos Buttler have been made available for their respective franchises only for the first three matches.

The Hundred: Bad news, England players participation expected to take a hit amid COVID chaos

The 100-ball competition will kick off on Wednesday, July 23. It will overlap the upcoming five-match Test series between India and England that starts on August 4.

Earlier this week, Ben Stokes admitted that it will be devastating if England’s Test stars are shielded from playing in the tournament.

‘It would be very frustrating to not be able to participate in The Hundred,’ Stokes, who will represent Northern Superchargers, told England daily.

‘It’s a massive event for England and we want to be part of it,’ he further added.

‘Clearly we’ve got to make sure that we protect the India series but also it’s important they take part in the Hundred,’ said the Hundred’s managing director Sanjay Patel as quoted by Dailymail.

We’re just working through how that works. The thinking is around their travel, their accommodation – how do we make sure they’re not in close contact with anyone outside of the environment? Do we need to put additional protocols around them? I’m expecting them to play at the start of the Hundred, we just need to work out how many games that will be,’ he added.

Tom Harrison- who defended ECB’s relaxation to bio-bubble- is hopeful that every scheduled game will be played. Meanwhile, The ECB is looking for ways to mitigate the risk of infections.

Also Read: The Hundred LIVE: FanCode signs big deal, The Hundred to be LIVE streamed in India on FanCode

For more sports news and updates, follow us at insidesport.co