WATCH: Pakistan volleyball coach breaks down in tears after win over South Korea
Men’s volleyball has thrown a lot of surprises at the Asian Games, with the latest being Pakistan beating South Korea.
In the last couple of days at the Asian Games, the Indian men’s volleyball team created history as they beat South Korea and Chinese Taipei, to make it to the quarter-finals of the competition. Since 1986, the world no. 73 India has never won a medal at the Asiad, but this time the performance has only raised hope. Now, in the quarters, the Indian team will face the top-seeds Japan on 24th September.
Having said that, it is not just the Indian team which has been impressive, but Pakistan too has played beyond expectations. The arch-rivals also made it to the quarters, after beating South Korea. As per reports, such was the magnitude of the win, that their Brazilian coach Issanaye Ferraz broke down after the match. It was a big win understandably as the Pakistanis beat South Korea 3-0.
As per The News, a Pakistani publication, the Pakistan Volleyball Federation’s chief Chaudhary Mohammad Yaqoob, termed it a ‘huge win.’
“It’s a huge win,” Yaqoob told ‘The News’. “In the previous game against Chinese Taipei the team lacked in certain zones but today the boys overcame everything and played outstanding game. After taking 2-0 lead the boys seemed over-excited and I feared it might hurt them but they showed great discipline in the third set as well to complete an impressive win.”
- India’s gold medal prospects in athletics at Asian Games
- Top Indian athletes to miss out on selection
- World-beaters who will be star attractions in Asian Games – Check Out
- India vs Pakistan battles to look forward to at Asian Games
- Watch out for these supermoms in action for India at Asian Games
- Asian Games Opening ceremony: India’s flag-bearers in the last five editions