Bajaj had taken to twitter to share the decision with a heavy heart.
“With a very heavy heart today I have decided that @minervapunjabfc will have to do what so many others have done/CHAMPIONS of @ILeagueOfficial for 2018-19 for SENIORS/Under 13/ under 15 /under 18 – SIX TITLES(4 years) 60 plus boys to various Indian teams is going to shut,” read the tweet on his handle @THE_RanjitBajaj.
With a very heavy heart ? today I have decided that @minervapunjabfc will have to do what so many others have done/CHAMPIONS of @ILeagueOfficial for 2018-19 for SENIORS/Under 13/ under 15 /under 18 – SIX TITLES(4 years) 60 plus boys to various Indian teams is going to shut?
— Ranjit Bajaj (@THE_RanjitBajaj) April 5, 2019
Bajaj’s staggering remark comes a day after Minerva was told it would not be able to play its Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Cup group stage matches at Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar owing to renovation work.
Minerva is drawn in Group E alongside Chennaiyin FC, Abahani Dhaka, and Manang Marshyangdi. It’s scheduled first home game is against Manang Marshyangdi on May 1.
“I’m sick and tired of fighting with the AIFF (All India Football Federation). Instead of trying to help me, they keep sabotaging me. I was sued for (Rs) 60 crores for an interview I gave last week, and now this. It is a blatant attempt to shut me out as a whistleblower and they have succeeded,” Bajaj said.
“I came into football for the love of the sport and to promote it. This is not what I wanted to be doing. Any other country would have made much of me, but they are victimising me here.”
Meanwhile, Bajaj was also frustrated with the All India Football Federation approach in handling the issue of Minerva Punjab’s denial to play in Srinagar over security concerns in wake of the Pulwama terrorist attack on a CRPF convoy that has left more than 40 soldiers dead.
Minerva said the AIFF had failed to give written security assurances that were sought by the club after the terror attack which killed more than 40 CRPF personnel.