Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr has reportedly been postponed until November 28. The eight-round exhibition bout was originally announced for September 12th at the Dignity Health Sports Park in California.
However, it seems there has now been a change of plan.According to Ring Magazine, Tyson vs Jones Jr will now take place on November 28.
It’s claimed this is because Tyson’s team felt they could further maximise revenue by rescheduling the event. A meeting is said to have been held between both camps, with Jones’ team agreeing to the move. It’s understood the fight will still be at the same venue, likely still with no fans in attendance.
The bout will still be broadcast on undisclosed pay-per-view platforms, as well as multimedia video platform Triller, which is producing a 10-part documentary series leading up to the fight.
The Tyson-Jones fight – which has been sanctioned by the California State Athletic Commission – is poised to be the main event of a three-hour fight card, which will include significant undercard matches, as well as musical performances.
The undercard is due to include a fight between former National Basketball Association guard Nate Robinson and YouTube star Jake Paul.
The main fight, which is titled “Frontline Battle,” is the first event of a series created by “Mike Tyson’s Legends Only League”, a new sports venture owned by Tyson and global venture creation group Eros Innovations.
Tyson, who is 54, has not stepped inside the ring since 2005. Jones is 51.
Andy Foster, executive director of the California State Athletic Commission, who’ve decided to sanction the fight, previously told Boxing Scene that there will be no judges scoring the fight and so no winner, unless there’s a knockout.
However this is absolutely not the plan.
Foster said: “We can’t mislead the public as to this is some kind of real fight. “They can get into it a little bit, but I don’t want people to get hurt. They know the deal.