Friday 17th July, mark this date. The fate of the Indian Premier League (IPL 2020) season can be decided this Friday. The Board of Cricket Control of India’s (BCCI) Apex Council led by its Chairman Sourav Ganguly will meet via teleconference on 17th July to decide the way forward on IPL 2020 and other important cricketing matters on the agenda.
IPL 2020 : BCCI Apex Council meeting will discuss the way forward on IPL 2020 season
This will be third time that BCCI Apex Council meeting is being conducted under the chairmanship of Sourav Ganguly. Earlier in the month of November 2019 and February 2020, BCCI Apex Council meetings were conducted. The meeting on Friday will be the most crucial BCCI meeting in these Covid19 times as along with IPL 2020, decisions can be made on the Indian cricket team’s future tour program, domestic cricket schedules and various other points on the agenda list.
BCCI Apex Council meeting Agenda – According to the sources, BCCI secretary Jay Shah has forwarded the 11 point agenda for the meeting to the Apex Council members. Apex Council meeting agenda will include following points –
1) Indian Premier League 2020 – Way forward
2) Discussion on the domestic cricket schedules
3) Indian Cricket team’s future tour program – Rescheduling of the England home series for Feb
4) Tax exemption certificates from the Indian Government mandatory for hosting the T20 World Cup in India
5) National Cricket Academy facility in Bengaluru
6) Extension of Digital Services contract for BCCI & IPL digital platforms
7) Issue of Bihar Cricket Association
8) Appointment of new staff in the BCCI
9) Procedure to appoint new CEO after Rahul Johri’s resignation
10) Way forward on Payments to the north-eastern states
11) Discussion on Tender for Apparel Partnership.
BCCI Apex Council Meeting – Will BCCI sec Jay Shah be allowed to attend ?
Alka Bhardwaj, the government nominee to the BCCI, has questioned the continuation of Jay Shah as secretary. In a recent letter to the members of the BCCI Apex Council, Bhardwaj, who is part of the council as a representative of the CAG, has said that only eligible members should attend the meeting of the Apex Council.
“The President/Joint Secretary BCCI (who would be presumably officiating as Secretary after vacation of Secretary BCCI post) need to also ensure that Apex Council meeting is attended by only members, eligible as per the Constitution,” she wrote in an e-mail to the council members. It has also been reported that CAG themselves have petitioned in the honorable court for the role reversal of the CAG member in the BCCI Apex Council & IPL Governing Council.
In middle of this – will BCCI secretary Jay Shah attend this most crucial meeting of the BCCI Apex Council ? Answer is most likely yes. It is Shah who has forwarded the agenda of the meeting to the Apex Council members and others. Along with Shah, Ganguly (Chairman), Arun Singh Dhumal (Treasures BCCI), Jayesh George (Joint Sec), BCCI interim CEO Hemang Amin will attend the meeting along with the government nominee Alka Bhardwaj and 3 other members.