India Tour of Sri Lanka – Shikhar & Shaw to open: The stage is set for the three-match ODI series against Sri Lanka but a lot of debate has been on who will open the innings with Shikhar Dhawan. Despite a lot of competitions, as per information available with InsideSport, Prithvi Shaw is set to get the nod. Under Rahul Dravid’s mentorship, Team India went with five batsmen who can open the innings. But with an eye on the future and to keep Prithvi Shaw ready for the upcoming series, the Mumbaikar is set to get the nod beside Dhawan.
India Tour of Sri Lanka: Dhawan, Shaw to start Indian innings in 1st ODI vs Sri Lanka, Padikkal & Gaikwad to wait for their chances
India Tour of Sri Lanka – Shikhar & Shaw to open: Out of four openers apart from Nitish Rana, who can also open the innings, Devdutt Padikkal is seen as the future face of Team India with the talent to play all three formats. While he is set to play in few matches, right now, the focus will be on Prithvi Shaw as Virat Kohli and Ravi Shastri could still ask for him to join the squad in England. Hence, the team management is likely to see him perform at the international stage before getting picked for the core team again.
“Shaw scored pile of runs in the restricted domestic season. Dhawan & Shaw have great understanding as opening partners as they come from the same IPL team. I will be surprised, if anyone else will be played as India’s opening pain in the 1st ODI on 13th July, I think both Ruturaj and Padikkal will have to wait for their chances,” declared the team source from Colombo.
India Tour of Sri Lanka: Why is Prithvi Shaw preferred choice to open with Shikhar Dhawan?
- Although the series is to test India’s bench strength, India is aiming to win at any cost and will unlikely to test combinations constantly.
- Prithvi Shaw having made his international debut is more experienced than others in the reckoning.
- Team India wants him back after improving his technique. Virat Kohli and Ravi Shastri besides selectors are closely monitoring the youngster.
- Prithvi Shaw has had a fantastic IPL after a record-breaking Vijay Hazare Trophy where he scored 827 runs at an average of 165.40.
- His partnership in the IPL 2021 with Shikhar Dhawan is a hit. The duo notched up multiple century stands for Delhi Capitals since IPL 2020 and are the ideal choice to open as they have a good camaraderie.
- Prithvi Shaw is also being looked at as a potential backup opener for ICC T20 World Cup.
India Tour of Sri Lanka: Considering that, Prithvi Shaw is set to get his place back. While he hasn’t played a lot of white-ball cricket in Team India jersey, Sri Lanka series will be his chance to do well and impress selectors. Having improved his technique and fitness, he now has Virat Kohli and Ravi Shastri’s backing. As Rahul Dravid said he will be in touch with the team management in England, the decision to give him the nod has also been deliberated between the two camps.
“As Rahul sir is there, one will expect discipline in the dressing room. I’m looking ahead to the practice sessions with Rahul sir because I love to speak to him for hours. This tour, I just have to grab the opportunity. I was desperate to get back in the Indian team. I have always kept the team above me. Be it India, Ranji Trophy team, club or my school team. I want to give my best,” Prithvi Shaw told Indian Express before leaving for Colombo.