India tour of Australia : Despite Cricket Australia’s assurance, Adelaide Test stays doubtful , MCG on standby

India tour of Australia Adelaide Test Match: Despite Cricket Australia’s (CA) assurance in the last 24 hours, the first test match between India and Australia in Adelaide still stays doubtful. And while CA maintains the first Test scheduled for December 17 will remain in Adelaide, South Australian Premier Steven Marshall could not guarantee that according to the Australian media.

We are still hopeful that the cricket will go ahead. What we are doing in South Australia is putting all those people we think pose the biggest risk, those people that have come into contact with someone who is infectious, we have put them into quarantine as quickly as possible,” Marshall said on Tuesday.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, If the Test had to be shifted, Melbourne Cricket Club (MCG) is likely to be the alternate venue. The MCG is already due to host the second Test from Boxing Day. MCG chief Stuart Fox said his venue would be ready to take the event.

“If the game had to be moved, the MCC would be ready to mobilise and the MCG would be available,” Fox told Sydney Morning Herald.

Also Read: India tour of Australia: Cricket Australia airlifts Australian team members including captain Tim Paine into Sydney

Also Read: India tour of Australia: Andrew Tye replaces Kane Richardson in Australia’s ODI, T20I squads

The report further says that SCG is also open to the idea of replacing Adelaide if there is a late change.

Meanwhile CA have swiftly moved players and staff from Western Australia, Tasmania and Queensland, who are part of the Australian men’s ODI and T20I squads, to Sydney on Tuesday after the three states closed its borders with South Australia (SA) following a spike in COVID-19 cases in the state.

The sudden move was to avert any probable disruption in the upcoming white-ball series against India that kicks off from November 27 in Sydney and Canberra.

“CA has taken a pro-active approach and mobilised a number of people across the country over the past 24 hours to shore up our men’s domestic and international schedules,” said Nick Hockley, Cricket Australia’s Interim CEO.

“I would like to thank the players and staff for their understanding regarding the changes to their travel schedules and for their commitment to ensuring the summer of cricket is a huge success.

“I would also like to thank the various leadership groups across Australian cricket for coming together over the past 48 hours and taking quick, decisive action – made possible by thorough, cross-department contingency planning.”

India Tour of Australia: Cricket Australia instructs all domestic & international players in South Australia to undergo Covid-19 tests

CA have also confirmed that none of the domestic players in Adelaide, during the Sheffield Shield last week, visited the “hot spots” identified by SA Health department. The board has nonetheless instructed all players to undergo COVID-19 tests, with all results received thus far returning negative.

CA have reiterated that they are currently committed to hosting the pink-ball Test against India at the Adelaide Oval from December 17 while keeping an eye on the latest developments.

“CA will continue to monitor the situation in South Australia and the resulting border restrictions around the country. As ever, we will remain agile in addressing the challenges presented by the pandemic and remain more confident than ever of hosting a safe and successful summer across all formats,” Hockley added.