FIFA cancels next year’s U-17, U-20 World Cup; moved to 2023

FIFA cancels 2021 U-17, U-20 World Cup: Next year’s men’s Under-20 World Cup in Indonesia and Under-17 tournament in Peru have been moved to 2023 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, soccer’s world governing body FIFA said on Thursday.

“The COVID-19 pandemic continues to present challenges for the hosting of international sporting events and to have a restrictive effect on international travel,” FIFA said in a statement.

“FIFA would like to express its gratitude to the host member associations, as well as the authorities in Indonesia and Peru, for their commitment and the tournament preparations made so far.”

“In doing so, it became clear that the global situation has failed to normalize to a sufficient level to address the challenges associated with hosting both tournaments, including the feasibility of the relevant qualification pathways.”

The United States U-20s have reached the quarterfinals in each of the last three U-20 World Cups, while the U-17s made the quarterfinals in 2017.