CSA no longer under threat of defunding and derecognition: Report- Cricket South Africa on Friday avoided being defunded and derecognised by South Africa sports Minister Nathi Mthethwa. He said that his office will withdraw the notice to intervene at CSA.
“As the sole purpose of my intervention into the affairs of CSA was to facilitate a negotiated solution in respect of governance best practice, I have, based on the confirmation from CSA’s Acting President and IB Chairperson, instructed my Department to immediately initiate the requisite process to withdraw the notice,” Mthethwa said in a statement.
This means that the board agreed to a new memorandum of incorporation- It sets out rights, duties and responsibilities of anyone involved in a company.
“We had to do something to pull back from the brink of the cliff. So we got together with the members council after the Special General Meeting and said in the interests of the game and the nation, let’s try and work through these issues. For nine years they had been on a rollercoaster ride. We need certainty and predictability. That’s what sponsors, players and everybody else wants,” Stavros Nicolaou, interim board chair, told ESPNCricinfo.
The establishment of a new board will bring the Mthethwa-imposed interim board’s tenure to end on May 15, the report added.
CSA’ new board will be made up of 15 members for the first three years. Nominations for the independent directors are currently open and will remain so until May 10, with CSA’s AGM set to happen by June 12.
Last week, Mthethwa issued his intention to defund and deregulate CSA. If his use of the Act was published, it would have no longer been recognised as the game’s official governing body. The biggest impact of Nathi Mthethwa’s actions will affect everyone who is involved in the running of the game.