Organisers of the Caribbean Premier League are said to be lining up Trinidad and Tobago as the sole host country for this year’s edition of the Twenty20 cricket competition.
The plan, which would see the tournament get underway in mid-August, has been submitted to Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Keith Rowley, according to ESPNcricinfo.
If the proposal is given the green light, all 34 matches would be played at Trinidad’s Queen’s Park Oval and the Brian Lara Academy.
Pete Russell, the CPL’s chief operating officer, told ESPNcricinfo that the league will stage a virtual meeting with cabinet ministers tomorrow (Thursday) to discuss the logistics of playing all matches in Trinidad.
The tournament had initially been scheduled to take place from August 19 to September 26 with matches across Trinidad and Tobago, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica and Saint Lucia.
Cases of Covid-19 have been relatively low in the region but the pandemic has nevertheless forced organisers to reconsider their hosting arrangements.
Russell told ESPNcricinfo: “We’re ready to play. If you get the second wave that everyone hopes won’t come, we’d be back to square one, but the only other thing that will derail us is the government not allowing us to play for safety reasons. It’s just a case of getting the green light from them.”
Rowley said last week that the country was “cautiously optimistic” about staging the tournament in Trinidad.
All six teams would be required to stay in the same hotel, with each team to be quarantined and treated as a single household, ESPNcricinfo said. Plans to allow fans into stadia are at an early stage.