The Badminton World Fedration, BWF World Tour is in complete disarray and all tournaments till October have been postponed due to Covid-19 pandemic. After already cancelling four major tournaments in Asia due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the BWF has once again moved to make significant changes to its calendar for the remainder of 2020.
A number of World Tour events, including the India Open Super 500 and the Syed Modi International Super 300 tournaments, have been cancelled by the BWF, as the federation looks to reduce the number of events and the amount of travel necessary.
No top-class badminton has been played since the World Tour was suspended in March, and the BWF has now announced that it will not resume until October with the Thomas and Uber Cup Finals, which will take place in the Danish city of Aarhus on the originally planned dates of October 3 to 11.
The tour will then remain in the Scandinavian country for two new Super 750 tournaments, the Denmark Open I and Denmark Open II, before a two-week pause while the circuit moves to Asia for two Super 1000 events in November, with the destinations and dates of these competitions yet to be finalised.
The BWF has also committed to staging the World Tour Finals in Asia in December although, again, no location has been decided. Guangzhou in China was the original host, but the event will be moved due to the Chinese government having banned all international sporting events for the remainder of 2020.
“Managing travel logistics between different territories where different entry and safety restrictions apply has been the biggest challenge. Therefore, an adjusted tournament calendar was developed. Our main concern has always been the health and safety of all participants and we have created a BWF Safety Protocols and Operating Procedures document to guide us in this process.
“We look forward to the return of international badminton and we thank all parties and participants involved in the planning process.”
The India Open Super 500 and the Syed Modi International Super 300 tournaments were on Thursday cancelled by the Badminton World Federation in its adjusted calendar to salvage a season thrown haywire by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The India Open, which was originally scheduled in March, was to be held from December 8 to 13 in New Delhi and Syed Modi was slated for November 17 to 22 in Lucknow in the previously revised calendar.
“The Badminton World Federation (BWF) will implement an adjusted tournament calendar for the HSBC BWF World Tour in 2020,” the world body said in a statement. In May, the BWF had unveiled a revised international calendar but it couldn’t be started due to the global health crisis which is showing no signs of abating.
BWF also shared its Standard Operation Procedure with member associations, saying any breach “can result in accreditations being revoked and participants not permitted to enter the venue.” The BWF had also announced that ranking points earned at tournaments during the original qualification phase will be maintained.
It had earlier frozen the world rankings and made the standings on March 17 as the basis for entry and seedings, when the international calendar resumes.
“Tournaments completed in 2020 will accumulate world ranking points, although such points will only be included with the unfreezing of the World Rankings,” the apex body said. “The exact model for the unfreezing of the World Rankings, and how subsequent rankings are structured and valued, will be released shortly.”