BCCI SGM Meeting Live updates – IPL 2021 Phase 2: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has confirmed that the IPL 2021 Phase 2 will be held in the UAE during the September-October window. The decision was taken during the Special General Meeting on Saturday that was held virtually. BCCI President Sourav Ganguly chaired the meeting from Mumbai.
BCCI Statement: “The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Saturday announced to complete the remaining matches of VIVO Indian Premier League 2021 season in the United Arab Emirates (U.A.E) considering the monsoon season in India in the months of September-October this year,” BCCI’s statement read.
“As for foreign players’ availability in the IPL 2021 Phase 2, the BCCI said it will request other cricket boards to allow players,” it added.
ICC T20 World Cup: Meanwhile, BCCI has decided to ask the ICC for more time on the T20 World Cup as it wants to host the tournament in India. It is slated to begin on October 18. BCCI wants to monitor India’s COVID-19 situation and wants to take a call. ICC is to convene for a meeting on June 1.
“The BCCI SGM further authorised the Office Bearers to seek an extension of time from the ICC to take an appropriate call on the hosting of ICC T20 World Cup 2021,” BCCI’s statement added.
The BCCI called for an SGM to finalize and approve the way forward for the Indian Premier League remaining season (IPL 2021 Phase 2). The meeting will be held virtually today at 12 PM and will take important decisions on IPL 2021 Phase 2 and various other matters pertaining to the domestic cricket & T20 World Cup in India.
As reported earlier by InsideSport.co, the BCCI has ironed out the September-October window for the IPL 2021 remaining matches in UAE – but they are yet to be formally approved by the BCCI SGM & later by the IPL Governing Council. The BCCI SGM will formally take a decision about the IPL 2021 and also on the fate of the T20 World Cup in India.
IPL 2021 Phase 2 – BCCI SGM: BCCI President Sourav Ganguly to join in Mumbai
As per an ANI report, although the SGM will be held virtually, BCCI President Sourav Ganguly has decided to join physically in Mumbai. “While it is a virtual meeting, we will still have to have a base and that is Mumbai. Sourav is coming tonight,” the source said.
IPL 2021 Phase 2 – BCCI SGM Meeting Agenda
The Special General meeting online will take place on May 29, days before the ICC meeting on June 1st & 2nd. It’s not a coincidence. The BCCI wanted to be a step ahead and will have various things on its agenda, especially the IPL 2021 Phase 2 and the ICC T20 World Cup. InsideSport takes a look at what will be on its agenda.
– IPL 2021 Phase 2: The primary reason to hold the meeting is to come to a decision on IPL 2021’s 31 remaining matches. The UAE is all set to host the matches from mid-September until a week before the T20 World Cup.
IPL 2021 Phase 2 dates: While it has managed to find out a window, there are things that need addressing. As things haven’t worked out with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), the BCCI will need to conduct the remaining 31 matches after the England-India Test series that ends on September 18. That means the matches have to be held after the date.
Foreign players: With the Caribbean Premier League underway during that period, West Indian and some South African cricketers will be unavailable for a week or so besides their quarantine period in the UAE. BCCI will need to arrange charter flights from St Kitts and Nevis to keep the entire contingent away from quarantine.
– Vaccinations: The UAE government is strict when it comes to COVID-19 vaccination. It has a strict rule in place for foreign visitors. If they are not vaccinated, they are not allowed. While the BCCI has already vaccinated Team India players, it will have to find a way to vaccinate around 700 people more including overseas cricketers. It will be one of the things on the agenda related to IPL.
– Bilateral series: Rescheduling IPL 2021 during the period will mean postponing two bilateral series against South Africa and New Zealand at home before the ICC T20 World Cup. BCCI will have to come to an agreement with both.
– ICC T20 World Cup: Another important point on agenda is how to host T20 World Cup in India amid the Covid-19 pandemic. BCCI wants to keep T20 World Cup in India and will decide on the way forward on the same. ICC Meeting is scheduled for June 2nd and BCCI will have to finalize their strategy to convince ICC to keep T20 World Cup in India. The BCCI will also discuss the potential venues. Although the board has asked a total of nine venues to be ready for the marquee event, Telegraph reported that four venues in Maharashtra have been earmarked with the final at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad.
– Logistical hassles: The other point to ponder is the logistics. With Team India returning from the UK and the possible arrangement of charter flight for West Indian players in CPL 2021, BCCI will have to deal with a lot of logistical hassles that will be ironed out today. Inter-city travel is another area that BCCI will need to consider.
– BCCI Domestic Cricket: Domestic Cricket schedules are in complete disarray due to Covid-19. BCCI SGM will decide on the possible way forward on the same
BCC SGM Meeting Live updates: It is all but confirmed that the IPL 2021 Phase 2 will be played in the UAE as India is “not an option” as per BCCI President Sourav Ganguly. But it will also depend on ICC’s decision on June 2.
The ICC has put UAE as a standby venue for the ICC T20 World Cup, scheduled for mid-October. A final decision regarding both the tournaments is most likely to be out today.